MPA Women’s Mental Health Chapter
Date: 25 June 2008
The mission of the Chapter is:
The objectives of the Chapter are:
- To improve the mental health of women in Malaysia.
- To expand the fund of knowledge about Women’s Mental Health.
- To promote gender-sensitive and autonomy-enhancing mental health services for women.
- To create a network of national and international societies devoted to mental health of women.
- Through collaboration and networks, to promote research into:
- The social, economic, ethical, legal, cultural, psychological and biological factors, which affect Women’s Mental Health.
- Women’s roles in marriage, family and society, and the effects on mental health.
- The causes, effects and elimination of domestic violence and abuse of women.
- The causes, treatment and prevention of mental diseases or disorders that are specific, more prevalent, more severe or have different risk factors or outcomes in women.
- Gender-specific effects of treatment.
- Basic sciences pertinent to gender difference and female biology.
- To act as an advocate for Women’s Mental Health, for
- The elimination of conditions that are harmful to Women’s Mental Health.
- Better medical education and public information about Women’s Mental Health.
- The appropriate representation of women in research, education and organizations concerned with Women’s Mental Health
Activities of the Chapter will include, but will not be limited to:
- Promotion of research through the development of national, international networks and focused workshops.
- The organization of conferences and symposia, to which all individuals, societies and organisations concerned with Women’s Mental Health are invited.
- Circulation of information about Women’s Mental Health, through the World Wide Web, MPA website, the Malaysian Journal of Psychiatry and other publications.
- Education of clinicians and the public through educational workshops as well as printed and electronic material.
- Collaboration with advocacy groups.
Professsor Dr Nor Zuraida Zainal
Associate Professor Dr Aili Hanim Hashim
Dr Salina Abdul Aziz
Dr Norhayati Ali
Dr Hazlin Lockman
Dr Asrenee Abd Razak